Thursday, November 19, 2009

Humility

I have been wrong before and I have made mistakes. I will continue to make mistakes because I am human. No one, regardless of profession, should expect perfection out of themselves or the people around them I think humility is important as a teacher because you don't want to chide the students, taking on a "holier-than-thou" attitude which turns them off to whatever you are teaching.
Humility is the happy medium between having low expectations and expecting perfection out of yourself. While it is unhealthy to expect perfection from yourself and beat yourself up over mistakes, it is also unhealthy to have low or no expectations to yourself. Being humble means you have achieved a happy medium between perfectionism and apathy. Humility is doing your absolute best but being able to accept failure and admit that you are not perfect.
I admired teachers that were able to laugh at themselves when they said or did something silly on accident. I hope to be a teacher that easily admits when I am wrong, although that is sometimes hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment