Monday, October 5, 2009

Reflectiveness

Reflecting is hard. It's challenging because reflecting means admitting that you're imperfect and that there are things you can do better. It's hard to realize that your habits and tried and true ways of doing things may not be the best or more effective. Because of this, reflectiveness is really important in becoming and staying an effective teacher. I always hated the teachers who have had the same lesson plans and activities for 20 years, which weren't really relevant anymore anyway. Besides, as a teacher, I want to stay interested and invested in what I'm doing and the material I'm teaching.
I reflect best when I'm outdoors on a walk. For some reason, those two components of light exercise and the great outdoors makes me pensive in a way that no other environments can. I think being outside brings me peace and I'm able to enjoy it for the beautiful creation that it is without being distracted by man-made structures. Walking keeps my body busy so I feel like I have a purpose and a destination, even though I usually do not. With my body busy doing something natural that requires little or no thought, my mind is free to wander and reflect on problems and their possible solutions.
No matter where or how one chooses to reflect, it's frustrating sometimes to have to admit to yourself that you are always a work in progress. No matter how much you improve upon yourself, there are always more things to work on and more problems to address. That's something effective teachers are able to admit to themselves; that they aren't perfect and neither are kids, but putting forth effort to better oneself in personality, mentality, or academics is beneficial for all parties involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment